Shipping traffic through the Strait of Hormuz fell sharply over the weekend following attacks on tankers, as diplomatic efforts between the United States and Iran to resolve the Middle East conflict remained stalled, according to data released Monday.
Only five commodity vessels transited the strategic waterway on Saturday, with no crossings recorded on Sunday, compared with 31 vessels during the previous weekend, according to ship-tracking data from Kpler.
Ships entering the strait on Saturday included an empty Very Large Crude Carrier with its Automatic Identification System switched off and an Indian-flagged Very Large Gas Carrier that used the Iranian route, Kpler data showed.
A small tanker laden with Iranian fuel oil exited, it showed.
Shipping appeared to grind to a near standstill after the United Arab Emirates said three vessels operated by the Abu Dhabi National Oil Company were attacked in transit last week.
The United States said it could maintain a naval blockade of Iran indefinitely.
Some ships may pass through undetected with transponders off, but the figures are far from the more than 130 ships a day that traversed the Strait of Hormuz before the war launched by the U.S. and Israel on Iran in February.
Washington must meet Iran's conditions regarding the strait in order for shipping to resume, Foreign Minister Abbas Araqchi said in an interview with local media on Saturday.
The waterway handled a fifth of the world's shipments of crude oil and liquefied natural gas before the war.
At the Bab el-Mandeb strait, where Yemeni Houthis declared a naval blockade on Saudi Arabia on July 20, Kpler data showed 49 weekend transits by commodity vessels, down from 55 in the prior week. There were no tracked Saudi oil shipments.
Source: Reuters
Robban Assafina is now on WhatsApp channel. Click Here







